BACK to SCHOOL TIPS from MES!
Yes, Folks, it’s that time of year again…so here are 10 tips to help prepare your child and yourself for the upcoming school year!
- Set your kids sleep schedule back ‘to school time’ two weeks before the first day so that they can get into the school routine and get plenty of sleep.
- Refresh you rules about screen time (T.V./computer/video gaming & cellphone) usage during school time. Schedule the amount of time daily or weekly that they can use these electronic devises, so as not to conflict with homework and school projects.
- Create a study space that is a DISTRACTION FREE ZONE!
- Create a daily school work/study routine and don’t forget to schedule free time. Kids need to refresh and refuel in the afternoon.
- Keep track of extra-curricular activities to prevent over scheduling during the school year.
- Discuss with your kids what they can expect during their school day so that they will feel more prepared.
- Have your kids prepare their backpacks and lay out their clothes the night before so that they will be ready to go the next day.
- Ensure that your children get a healthy high protein breakfast every morning.
- Have a conversation with your kids about the 5 – Back to School WORRY’S:
* Separation Anxiety. Especially with children in grades K-3. Be reassuring.
* Adapting to new school or learning community. Attend Open Houses
* Fears about Peers. Reinforce forming healthy friendships that are good for them.
* Riding the bus. Have them sit next to a sibling, friend or neighbor.
* Bullying. Discuss with your kids about having a plan of what to do if they encounter being
- Did I mention GETTING PLENTY OF SLEEP?!?!
Everyone at My Epilepsy Story, wishes you a Happy, Safe & Successful school year!
Please feel free to reach out to me via email at [email protected] or 615-822-4224 for any of your child’s educational needs. Such as IEPs, 504s, or Educational Service Plans.
James R. McFadden, II M.Ed.